Our South Waterfront House at the OHSU Gary & Christine Rood Family Pavilion
3410 SW Bond Ave. | Portland, OR 97239
On January 23, 2019, we began hosting pediatric patient families at our new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House at the OHSU Gary & Christine Rood Family Pavilion. Our new 38-room Ronald McDonald House replaced our previous West House at the Marriott Residence Inn. The new House is the largest in Oregon – offering beautiful play spaces, game rooms, an expansive family kitchen and dining area and a three-quarter acre rooftop garden and playground, just a short tram ride away from OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the entire Rood Family Pavilion a Ronald McDonald House? No. The Rood Family Pavilion includes an OHSU conference center, loading dock, parking garage, guest housing for adult patients, and ground-floor retail space as well as our new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House. RMHC guest rooms are located on the eighth and ninth floors, community spaces are on the seventh floor, and guest families check in on the first floor.
- Is Ronald McDonald House now serving adult patients? No. Our South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House is still a program exclusively for seriously ill children and their families, offered free of charge. However, RMHC will be providing check-in services, housekeeping, laundry, and security for every resident at the Rood Family Pavilion, including adult patients. Adult patients will stay on the 10th & 11th floors and enjoy several universally available community spaces on 7th floor.
- Are you still housing families at the Marriott Residence Inn? No. All families staying at our West House on the 5th floor of the Marriott Residence Inn RiverPlace moved to the South Waterfront House on January 23, 2019. The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House will serve as our new, permanent Ronald McDonald House for OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital families.
- How far away is the South Waterfront House from OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital? The new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House is located at 3410 SW Bond Ave., and is less than one block from the OHSU tram.
- Is there parking? Each family staying at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House has one dedicated parking space in a secure, covered garage.
- Can we bring more than one car? There is only one dedicated parking space available per family, and additional parking is limited to metered street parking or fee-based parking garages, so we recommend only bringing one car, if possible.
- Is there a kitchen in my room? Each room has a microwave and small refrigerator, however there are no kitchens in the rooms.
- What amenities are available? The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House offers access to a fitness room, laundry facilities, amazing dedicated rooftop garden spaces, balconies, lounges for quiet relaxation and reading, a library/business center, play areas for children of all ages, creative craft spaces, music spaces, pool table, karaoke, video game spaces, a full kitchen with multiple family use spaces, and a spacious common dining room. In addition, programming is available that includes free meals prepared by volunteers, children and family activities, pet therapy, and arts and crafts.
- How do I make a reservation? The reservation process has not changed. To understand how to stay at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House, click here.
- What are my transportation options to and from the hospital? There are several transportation options available to and from OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital at all hours. These options include tram access as well as Lyft and/or taxi. A personal vehicle is not required.
- How many people can stay in a room? Up to six per room.
- Can I request which House I want to stay at? Unfortunately, no. The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House serves as the primary location for families from OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. If needed, families may be placed at our East Ronald McDonald House as managed by our family placement team.
- What do I do upon arrival to the House? When you arrive at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House, you will park in the designated parking garage and then proceed to the first floor reception desk to check in. Each family will get specific instructions prior to each stay from our Family Placement team.