In 2019, our new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House opened at the OHSU Gary & Christine Rood Family Pavilion. Our new 38-room Ronald McDonald House replaced our previous West House at the Marriott Residence Inn. The new House is the largest in Oregon – offering beautiful play spaces, game rooms, an expansive family kitchen and dining area and a three-quarter acre rooftop garden and playground, just a short tram ride away from OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.
With the addition of thirteen new rooms, the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House will be able to provide nearly 5,000 more nights for families to stay each year. With this increase, we are hopeful that we will be able to house every family that needs a room.
Frequently Asked Questions
Also available in Spanish
- Are adult patients staying at RMHC also? No. The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House is within the Gary and Christine Rood Family Pavilion – a large guesthouse that also houses adult patient families for OHSU. While some common areas are shared, the House has dedicated spaces and associated programming with RMHC access only, including two secure floors of 38 guest rooms, a dedicated kitchen, dining room, laundry rooms, outdoor space, craft areas, play areas, lounges, game room, and a family activities room.
- Do adult patient families have access to RMHC? Adult patient families do not have direct access to RMHC spaces or programming. However, there are instances where children’s activities will be available for all children in the building.
- Who paid for all this? The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House furniture, art, guest amenities, equipment, family support items, and all operating costs are fully funded by the generous donors of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Oregon & SW Washington. All families staying at the house do so free of charge. The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House is part of the Gary and Christine Rood Family Pavilion that was funded 100% by OHSU and their committed donors.
- Why did you move? Since 2013, the West Ronald McDonald House has been serving families from Doernbecher Children’s Hospital from a temporary location at the Marriott Residence Inn RiverPlace, with the intention of moving into a permanent space. The new South Waterfront RonaldMcDonald House will serve as our new, permanent location serving Doernbecher Children’s Hospital families.
- Will Marriott location stay open? The West Ronald McDonald House at the Marriott Residence Inn RiverPlace will close on January 23, 2019 as we transition to the new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House. The last night families will stay at the Marriott location will be January 22, 2019.
- How far away from the is the South Waterfront House from the West Ronald McDonald House? The new South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House address is 3410 SW Bond Ave and is less than five-minute drive from the previous West Ronald McDonald House.
- Where is it located? How close is it to the hospital/tram? The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House is located in the complex where the tram terminal is located, less than a 3-minute walk. The address for the new building is 3410 SW Bond Ave.
- What will parking be like? Each family staying at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House has one dedicated parking space in a secure, covered garage.
- Can we bring more than one car? There is only one dedicated parking space available per family, and additional parking is limited to meter street parking or fee-based parking garages, so we recommend only bringing one car, if possible.
- Is there a kitchen in my room? There is not a kitchen in the room. Each room has a microwave and small refrigerator.
- What amenities are available? The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House offers access to a fitness room, laundry facilities, amazing dedicated roof top garden spaces, balconies, lounges for quiet relaxation and reading, library/business center, play areas for children of all ages, creative craft spaces, music spaces, pool table, karaoke, video game spaces, full kitchen with multiple family use spaces, spacious common dining room. In addition, programming is available that includes free meals prepared by volunteers, children and family activities, pet therapy, and arts and crafts.
- How do I make a reservation? The reservation process has not changed. To understand how to stay at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House, click here.
- What are my transportation options to/from the hospital? There are several transportation options available to/from OHSU Hospital at all hours. These options include tram access as well as Lyft and/or taxi. A personal vehicle is not required.
- How many people can stay in a room? Six per room
- Can I request which House I want to stay at? Unfortunately, No. The South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House serves as the primary location for families from Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. If needed, families may be placed at our Portland East Ronald McDonald House as managed by our family placement team.
- What do I do upon arrival to the House? When you arrive at the South Waterfront Ronald McDonald House, you will park in the designated parking garage and then proceed to the first floor reception desk to check in. Each family will get specific instructions prior to each stay from our Family Placement team.